Thursday, February 20, 2014

Good News!

This week has been going well so far. I started the week off really strong. I made it through 3 treatments before feeling side effects. Huge answer to prayer. Today was my first difficult day this week. I started feeling nauseous last night and this morning. They added some anti-nausea drugs to my treatment today which has helped. I slept about 3 hours last night, so today I have just been exhausted.

Even in the midst of all the crap, I am still so thankful to serve a sovereign God who is faithful. Today I received good news and it is enough to sustain me for the rest of the week and well into the next phase of this treatment. The AFP tumor marker came back at a reading that was 2/3 less than starting chemo 3 weeks ago. This tumor marker is the most sensitive to knowing how effective the chemo is and I was shocked how low my number was today. It is still high and there is still obvious concern regarding getting it down well below 500 ng/mL. Right now I am sitting at 2300 ng/mL and was at 6800 ng/mL three weeks ago. Praise God.

In other news, I went out and about yesterday for the first time since shaving my head. Jenn and I went shopping after chemo yesterday and I even took my hat off a few times in REI to try on other hats. This was a huge step for me because I realized I just need to be myself. I am finding a new definition of beauty and though that is extremely difficult, it is necessary for growth and re-entry into society post-cancer.

Tonight's plan is to get rest so that I can face the last two days of chemo this week. I know I can do this and really kick this cancer's ass. Today's good news is just the fuel I needed to keep going.


2 comments:

  1. Heck yea Jyndia! This is great news! Sending my love and hugs from omaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete