Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Building back up

The way my chemo schedule works is the first week of each cycle is is 6 days in a row of 4-5 hours of infusions. The second two weeks I just have chemo one day each week. Those weeks are designed to give your body a break from the constant infusions and build up your immune system again.  Today was my day.

I woke up today in more pain than days previous. My incision has been bothering me and feels like it is laying down more scar tissue. I had some PT friends work on it early after my surgery, but it is apparent my body is not done laying down scar. Its a good thing I am a PT and know these things because my surgeon, nor any other health care professional mentioned the fact that if I didnt work on this aspect, my abdomen would be bound down and scarred up and I am only 29. Consider that my PSA :)

This week is the last week of my first cycle. In some ways, I cant believe it is finished and in others I cant believe I have still have at least two full cycles to go. I have been focusing on trying to build my body back up before going through the full week of chemo again. I went to the gym yesterday for the first time since diagnosis. It was short, but felt good on my lungs to breathe hard again. I am going to try and do more strength training too, especially my legs.

Its an interesting thing. Working so hard to feel good only to feel real shitty next week. I feel like I have almost gotten back to normal with so many things. Today when they accessed my port the sting of the needle piercing my skin took my breath away. How quickly our memory forgets pain only to experience it again.

Hope you are all having a good week. I continue to be blessed by all of your kindness in the form of words of encouragement, gifts and time spent with me. Thank you all so very much!


No comments:

Post a Comment