Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Accepting help

This whole cancer situation has taught me a lot about how to accept help. If you know me, you know that I am highly independent. My parents would probably say I was born that way. I dont remember a lot about my early childhood, but what I do remember is I possessed a strong-will from the start; or at least I have been told that ;)

That strong-will has gotten me many places. I firmly believe it helped propel me forward in academics. It athletics. In fighting for my place in this crazy upturned world. I know there is this innate sense of self-worth interwoven with accomplishments as a result of being independent. A drive that has always alluded to there being something more to achieve, earn and work towards.

I guess what I am saying is this: being highly independent and driven has been an absolutely blessing when it comes to achieving things, but has been hard when needing to accept help. This happened when I went through the set backs with my knee surgeries in graduate school. And now I am faced with it again.

Turns out, this cancer situation is allowing more time to learn some life lessons. Its okay to need help. Its okay to accept help when it is offered. In fact, it is somewhat therapeutic to allow others to help you; both for them and for me.  And I am thankful for the help. I know I could not get through this without the help of many. Namely, my mom. She spent over a month in Portland helping me both physically with tasks and emotionally with support. My friends who have taken days off work to spend with me. My coworkers who have supplied meals and small gifts that warm the soul. My extended network of friends who have sent cards, letters, blankets, hats, food, etc. I could not do this without you.

The rub is the gray area of that time when I feel I dont need as much help. The times I am building back up, gaining strength and can do more for myself. Those moments are the times that are incredibly hard to allow space to receive help. I am not good at that. I want to be independent. I want to do things for myself (if I can). I want to be me. And "me" is this highly independent, self-suffiecent person who actually gets enjoyment and if I am honest, a bit of my self-worth from what I can do for myself.

So this is an area of self-development for me. I am working on accepting help where I need it, but being true to myself when I know I can do something on my own. Its a humbling place to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment