Monday, February 24, 2014

Weekend #4... fatigue

On the Waterfront
Hard to believe I am on the other side of another weekend; particularly one following a 6 day treatment cycle. It feels good to know I have two weeks to regain some strength, build back up and face round 3 with vengeance. This weekend was pretty low key as I was really tired from treatment all week.

One of the biggest challenges for me has been adjusting my expectations of what I can do in one 24 hour period. If you knew me before, I was always on the run. Thinking, dreaming, planning adventures to be had in Portland, the PacNW or visiting friends in other parts of the country. I would think nothing of working a 10+ hour day and going to a concert that night only to work the next morning. Now this is not to boast in anyway, it is only meant to highlight the drastic difference in my current situation.

Jason and my mom after the cut
Friday the highlight was my mom cut her hair!! It is so beautiful and I cant wait to see how she will style it. She wanted to cut it short because I lost my hair, which was entirely too sweet of her. We found a cute look and my hairstylist turned her into one hot moma! Love love love her hair cut!!!

On Saturday I had treatment. Only about 1.5-2 hours. Received more steroids and more fluids to continue to flush my kidneys of toxic Cisplatin and to receive a shot to encourage immature white blood cells to exit large healthy bones to build back up my immune system. I could tell I was tired because normally I tool around on my iPad or read and all I wanted to do was lay there. After chemo we ran an errand or two and I knew I was wiped. We came home and it was all I could do to get off the couch. My mom went on a date with two of my professors from college (Julie and Jeanette) who took her out for dessert and tea for the afternoon. So lovely and sweet of them.  The rest of my evening was spent either in my bed or on the couch.

On Sunday my mom and I had arranged to take a walking tour of Portland. She had mentioned at some time while she was here that she thought it would be interesting to learn more about Portland. So we took a 2 hour guided tour of the city and walked about 2 miles. It was really informative and cool to learn some of those things with my mom. I was tuckered out after the tour so we came back home. I had church class that afternoon and again had to come home following it.

Managing fatigue is very new for me. I am not used to slowing down, at all. I am getting better at listening to my body, but it is still hard to slow down. This morning before I got out of bed I had some quiet time and allowed myself to just "be still" and completely shut down my overactive mind. It was a challenge, but was really rewarding once I was able to do it.

Portland Walking Tour with my mom

No comments:

Post a Comment