Monday, June 23, 2014

Resting, an ongoing lesson for me...

Today is all about resting! In this moment, I am sitting in my chair hammock, rocking back and forth trying to figure out what to do next on this lovely 80+ degree day. My hammock is perfectly located in the front of my house, under the porch awning with options for shade and sun depending on the time of day. This weekend I spent a few hours working on maintaining my little green space and it looks fantastic (but my body is sore and I feel muscles that I long forgot about)! I feel like I am in the middle of the forrest instead of the middle of the city; another perk of my house being tucked off the street. The cool breeze that is circulating brings the fresh smell of pine and dirt. A funny combination, but perfect for transporting me back into the mountains of CO or MT.

My chair hammock is ideal for being productive on my computer or reading a book, but also stretches out to allow for a nap too :) I got it when I was in Nicaragua over 2 years ago and this was the first chance I got to put it up. I am finding more and more reasons to spend time in it :) Can you tell I am in love with the hammock?

I am still figuring out how to be content with resting. That's a funny line to write, but it really is difficult for me to slow down and rest. This weekend I spent a good deal of time reading and felt good about catching up from the week (cleaning, laundry, meal planning, etc). But there is still this very strong pull to be productive or at least be adventurous. Portland is a city that compels adventure on every corner. Literally.  In my own quant neighborhood, new restaurants, cafes, coffee shops and bars are popping up everywhere. And I want to try them all! Especially when the weather is beautiful.

This week I am supposed to be at 100% full time. I have been having a hard time adjusting to work demands, so I emailed my manager today to find out what options I have to temporarily reduce my schedule. It has been taking at least a full day (sometimes 2) to rebound from a work week, so I seems important to not return to full time just yet. I think if I could make it through July with a reduced schedule, I would be good to go. Praying it is possible, because that would make a world of a difference.

Here are some highlights from the weekend!

Home
World Cup, Jersey Boys and flowers

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear you are resting and doing well. I have been following your blog the last couple weeks. I will be starting treatment on July 9th for germ cell ovarian tumor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope my words are of some help. Never let the worst-case cross your mind. Stay positive and you'll get through it. Days can be dark and thats okay, just know light comes up anew every day. Email me if you need anything- if just to complain about how shitty it is :) jyndia.schaible@gmail.com

      Delete