Sunday, June 15, 2014

Part II: Silence

What does one do when time stands still? The silence of the moment is deafening. The high pitched ringing in my ears was so real. Everything around me in that moment had stopped. Life hanging in the balance. And with every move made, an accompanying fear of shifting the balance in the wrong direction.

"Walk with me". A sweet command echoed in the silence.

As the days went by and tests were completed and the diagnosis had been made, I was forced to stop and listen. I remember one day specifically, looking into the mirror right after I shaved my head and knowing I was going to be alright, but it was going to take some time.

Time. It's a funny thing. You come to believe time is yours to own; to do with it as you wish. But in reality, the clock is ticking on everyone. Time is but a gift we have been given and what we choose to do with it determines a lot of things. In the mirror, in that moment, I did not want this process to take time. I wanted a quick fix so that I could return to my life. But looking in the mirror, with my hair falling out and my eyes sinking, I knew I needed to listen.

"Walk with me. Trust in me"

I dont want to walk with you! I dont want to walk at all. What I want is my life to be exactly how it used to be. Trusting is not really my strong suit, especially putting all my trust in something I cant see or touch. But in the silence, I hear it loud and clear:

"The road will be here when we are ready to get back on it. But for now, we are going to stay right here and work some things out. Things are going to be different for a while and you're going to learn to trust me. To learn on me, and at times, allowing me to do the walking for you. I need you to be still and listen. I need you to embrace the silence that is all around us. I need you to trust me."

Silence was unheard of in my life. Always some noise in the background. Now I was realizing the background noise was distracting me from hearing God's voice. He was commanding me to be still and listen. Embrace the silence and walk with him.

If you missed it- Part I: Pull Over


The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still ~Exodus 14:14
Montana

2 comments:


  1. The silence you hear is a signal to stop and take stock of the blessing that the Lord has provided for you. Our lives are filled with noises, and most of it is meaningless. Radio, TV, other misc. noises make us feel like we aren't alone. Possibly total silence is what we need more of so we can listen to God. If we listen to God we will never be alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for you comment. I completely agree

      Delete