Tuesday, May 20, 2014

First day back

Today was my first day back at work in over 16 weeks. It's crazy to think I had been gone for that long, but when I walked back in today, it seemed like I had just left. I am so thankful for all my coworkers and their kindness, empathy and genuine support shown both during my treatment, and then today as I came back. I could not have asked for a better day.

Going into today, I was feeling pretty anxious. I missed the bus I intended to take, which was not a huge deal because I had allowed plenty of time before my first patient. Most of my anxiety surrounded the unknown. Was I going to answer a lot of questions about how I was feeling, my treatment, etc? Would I have to tell patient's about what I had gone through? Would my wig stay on my head? :) Things of that nature were all crossing my mind as my bus weaved through the city towards work.

Like I said, I couldnt have been more blessed by how the day went. I walked into our charting room to brownies and a welcome back sign. I received countless hugs and well wishes throughout the day from colleagues. So good to see so many smiling faces :) I was able to get back in the grove rather quickly of chart reviewing, documenting and billing- all of which I was nervous I would have forgotten how to do. I started at 8am, had 5 new patients, was able to keep up with paperwork for the most part and ended my day around 1pm.  An all around successful day.

 I truly love my career and love where I am working. It felt great to get back in the routine of work (minus the waking up early part).  It was good to reengage my brain again after a long hiatus. I felt confident in my examinations and treatments and felt like patient interaction went well. Only adverse effect I noticed was throughout the day I battled low blood sugar and needed to snack often.

For the next two weeks the plan is to work half days as I adjust to very different energy demands than I have experienced in the last few months. Today went well, but I am exhausted. Tomorrow is a bit longer of a day and I have lung function tests after work to reevaluate my respiratory system. I am taking it easy (for those who are worried about that) and continue to listen to my body.

Here are some pictures from today!


3 comments:

  1. Yes you are right there are those of us that worry no matter what. I am so glad your first day was successful and it is nice to know that you are well taken care of. Can't wait to see you Friday. Love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could have been there to see you!!!! You are amazing Jyn!

    Love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking of you yesterday and today and sending good thoughts that all would go well. It does not surprise me in the least that things went as smoothly as they did. May they continue to do so. You look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete