Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Wigless!!!!

Today was the day! The day I took off my wig at work. I have been wanting to do this for a while, but for whatever reason, have had a hard time with it. Maybe it's partly because I am uncomfortable with short hair because it's new and so drastically different. That being said, so was being bald ;) 

The other part of it was knowing I would have to endure "talk" about my hair. Possibly, even answer the question of why I cut my hair. I have never wanted it to be about me at work. Patients need to know their needs are being met and that I am not distracted by other things. 

I am sure there is also a part of me that has to re-work through the question of beauty and perception of beauty. If I have spent my whole life only seeing myself with long hair, then it's fair to say I am looking at an unfamiliar face with familiar features. I felt similarly when I embraced being bald. 

As I was leaving today, I reflected upon the day. Everyone was overly generous in how sweet their comments were. My colleagues were especially thoughtful; mentioning throughout the day how great the style looks and how it brings out the features of my face. A few patients made kind comments, which helped make me begin to feel comfortable in my own skin again. Strange to think this is another thing I have to process through as I continue along the journey.  And so, I leave you with these song lyrics by Avicli

"All this time I was finding myself
And I didn't know I was lost...
 Life's a game made for everyone and love is the prize!"

No comments:

Post a Comment